Formulation development and in vitro evaluation of mouth dissolving tablets of Pioglitazone Hydrochloride
The present investigation was focused on formulation and in vitro evaluation of mouth dissolving tablets (MDTs) of Pioglitazone Hydrochloride (PGTZN) thereby enhancing the dissolution rate. MDTs were prepared by wet granulation and direct compression methods using Croscarmellose sodium, Crospovidone and Sodium starch glycolate as superdisintegrants. Powder blends were evaluated for flowability and all the powder blends showed acceptable flowability. The prepared tablets were evaluated for post compression parameters like hardness, friability, wetting time and showed acceptable results. Formulations F8 and F15 showed disintegration time of 23 and 22 sec respectively. Dissolution was performed in pH 1.2 HCl buffer and formulations F15 showed maximum drug release within 30 min. drug release from F15 was more than that of the marketed drug. Hence, it could be concluded that formulation F15 showed good drug release than marketed drug and there is a lot of scope for future in vivo studies.
2. Venkateswarlu K. and Chandrasekhar K.B.; Formulation and in-vitro evaluation of lacidipine oral disintegrating tablets: enhancement of solubility and dissolution rate; Int. J. Life. Sci. Pharm. Res.; 2016; 6(2);16-26.
3. Venkateswarlu K., ThirumaleshNaik S.B. and Chandrasekhar K.B.; Formulation and in vitro evaluation of orlistatorodispersible tablets for enhancement of dissolution rate; Int. J. Pharm. Pharm. Sci.; 2016;8(4);236-241.
4. ThirumaleshNaik S.B., Venkateswarlu K. and Chandrasekhar K.B.; Formulation and in-vitro evaluation of orodispersible tablets of olanzapine for the improvement of dissolution rate; J. Chem. Pharm. Res.; 2016;8(1);177-181.
5. Tripathi K.D; Essentials of medicinal pharmacology; Jaypee brother’s medical publishers, Delhi; 2001.
6. Vijayabhaskar K., Venkateswarlu K. and ThirumaleshNaik S.B.; Preparation and in-vitro evaluation of ranitidine mucoadhesive microspheres for prolonged gastric retention; Br. J. Pharm. Res.; 2016;10(2);1-12.
7. Venkateswarlu K., Chandrasekhar K.B. and Ramachandra R.; Development and in-vitro Evaluation of Reconstitutable Suspension of Flucloxacillin; Marmara. Pharm. J.; 20(3); 280-287, 2016.
8. Subramanyam C.V.S; Text book of pharmaceutical formulation; Vallabhprakashan publishers; Delhi; 2007.
9. Rowe R.C., Sheskey P.J. and Owen S.C.; Handbook of Pharmaceutical Excipients, Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain; Britain; 2006.
10. ThirumaleshNaik S.B., Venkateswarlu K. and Chandrasekhar K.B.; Formulation and in-vitro evaluation of Pregabalin mini tablets for sustained release; Pharm. Lett.; 2016;8(2);277-283.
11. Venkateswarlu K. and Chandrasekhar K.B.; Development and Statistical Optimization of Sustained Release Gastro Retentive Floating Tablets of Cephalexin; Marmara. Pharm. J.; 2016; 22(2);172-183.
12.ThirumaleshNaik S.B, Venkateswarlu K. and Chandrasekhar K.B.; Formulation and evaluation of Oxybutynin chloride extended release matrix tablets; IndoAm. J. Pharm. Res.; 2016;6(01);4179-4184.
13. Venkateswarlu K. and Shanthi A.; Formulation and evaluation of Glipizide matrix tablets; IOSR J. Pharm. Biol. Sci.; 2012;2(5);17-23.