Formulation and Evaluation of Metformin Hydrochloride buccal patch
The aim of present investigation was to design and evaluate, mucoadhesive buccal patch of Metformin hydrochloride, a BCS class II drug, to provide unidirectional sustained drug delivery to the buccal mucosa that has potential to enhance the bioavailability. The patches were prepared using HPMC K4M as a polymer, polyethylene glycol 400 as a plasticizer, by solvent casting technique. The patches, which were prepared by the solvent casting method, were smooth and elegant in appearance; were uniform in thickness, weight and drug content; showed no visible cracks; and showed good folding endurance. The amount of polymer, which significantly influenced characteristics like swelling index, mucoadhesive strength, diffusion study.
2. D.Harris, J.R. Robinson; Drug delivery via the mucous membrane of oral cavity; J. Pharm. Sci; 1992; 81(1); 1-10
3. JK Pandit, NM Vemuri, SP Wahi, RB Jayachandra; Mucosal dosage form of epidrine hydrochloride using Gantrez-AN 139; The Eastern pharmacist; 1993; 165-170
4. SS Lokhande, SS Lahoti; Buccoadhesive Drug Delivery System: Need; Asian Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences; 2012; 2(14); 29-36
5. Martindale; The complete drug reference; Kathleen parfit; 32nd edition; Pharmaceutical Press; U. K.; 1999
6. European pharmacopoeia; Council of Europe Strasbourg; 3rd edition; 1997; 1443-1444.
7. Indian pharmacopoeia; 1996; 256-257.
8. Bharath Kumar V, Ashok Kumar A, Sudheer B, Suresh Kumar K, SrinivasaRao V, Kirtinidhi K, Hitesh R Patel and Putta Rajesh Kumar; Formulation design, in vitro evaluation and stability studies on muccoadhesive buccal films of anti- angina calcium channel blocker; journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science; 2011; 1(6); 136-142.
9. Agarwal V, Mishra B; Design, development, and biopharmaceutical properties of buccoadhesive compacts of pentazocine; Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy; 1999; 25(6); 701-709.
10. Subhash Deshmane, Madhuri Channawar; Chitosan based sustained release muccoadhesive buccal patches containing Verapamil hudrochloride International journal of pharmacy and pharma science; 2009; 1(s1); 216-230.
11. Y Hu, V Topolkaraev, A. Hiltner, E Baer; Measurement of Water Vapour Transmission Rate in Highly Permeable Films; Journal of Applied Polymer Science; 2001; 81(7); 1624-1633.
12. Agarwal SS, Munjal P; Permeation studies of Atenolol and MetoprololTartarate form three different polymer matrices for transdermal delivery; Ind Journal of Pharma Sci; 2007; 69(4); 535-539.
13. Bottenberg P, Cleymact R, Muynck CD, Remon JP, Coomans D, Michotte Y, Slop D; Development and testing of bioadhesive, fluoride containing slow release tablet for oral use; Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology; 1991; 3(7); 457-464.
14. Khanna R, Agarwal SP, Ahuja A; Preparation and evaluation of mucoadhesive buccal films of clotrimazole for oral candida infection; Indian Journal of Pharma Sci. 1997; 59(6); 299-305.
15. Semalty M, Semalty A, Kumar G; Formulation and characterization of muccoadhesive buccal films of Glipizide; Indian Journal of Pharma Science; 2008; 70(1); 43-48.
16. Yehia SA, Gazayerly ON, Basalious EB; Fluconazole muccoadhesive buccal films: in- vitro or in- vivo performance; Current Drug Delivery; 2009; 6(1); 17-27.
17. Bhanja S, Ellaiah P, Chaudhari R, Murthy KV, Panigrahi B, Padhy S. Formulation, development and evaluation of muccoadhesive buccal patches of methotrexate; Journal of Advance Pharma Research; 2010; 1(1); 17-25.
18. Garren K. W and Repta AJ; Buccal Drug Absorption II : In-vitro Diffusion Across the Hamster Cheek Pouch; J. Pharm. Sci.; 1989; 78(2); 160-164.
19. Balamurugan K; Systemic Absorption of Propranolol hydrochloride from Buccoadhesive films; Indian J. Pharm. Sci. 2001; 63(3); 473-480.