Study on Agarwood (Aquilaria malaccensis) to evaluate Antibacterial and Antioxidant activities of n-hexane, chloroform and ethyl acetate extracts
The present research aims to investigate the antibacterial and antioxidant activities of different leaf extracts of Aquillaria malaccensis. Antibacterial tests were done by Disc diffusion method using Kanamycin as standard. The chloroform extract showed good antibacterial activity against Shigella boydii and Escherichia coli with 19 mm and 17 mm zone of inhibition respectively. All other extracts showed mild to moderate antibacterial activity against other bacteria with 7 – 16 mm zone of inhibition. The antioxidant activity of the extracts was determined by using DPPH spectrophotometrically and ascorbic acid was used as standard. All three extracts showed significant antioxidant activities having IC50 value of 38.96 µg/ml, 39.63 µg/ml and 64.75 µg/ml for ethyl acetate, n-hexane and chloroform extracts respectively.
2. Pranakhon, R., Pannangpetch, P. and Aromdee C., Antihyperglycemic activity of agarwood leaf extracts in STZ induced diabetic rats and glucose uptake enhancement activity in rat adipocytes; Songklanakarin J. Sci. Technol; 2011; 33(4); 405-410.
3. Huda AW N, Munira M A S, Fitrya S D, Salmah M; Antioxidant activity of Aquilaria malaccensis (Thymelaeaceae) Leaves; Pharmacog. Research. 2009; 1(5): 270-273.
4. Dash M, Patra J K, Panda P P.; Phytochemical and antimicrobial screening of extracts of Aquilaria agallocha Roxb; Afr. J. of Biotechnology, 2008; 7(20); 3531-3534.
5. Tajuddin SN, Yusoff MM; Chemical composition of volatile oils of Aquilaria malaccensis (Thymelaeaceae) from Malaysia; Nat Prod Commun; 2010; 5(12); 1965-8.
6. Khalil, A. S., Rahim, A. A., Taha, K. K., Abdallah, K. B.; Characterization of Methanolic Extracts of Agarwood Leaves; J. of Applied and Ind. Sciences; 2013; 1(3); 78-88.
7. Mohammad Shoeb, Shahanara Begum, Nilufar Nahar; Study of an endophytic fungus from Aquilaria malaccensis Lamk; Bangladesh Journal of Pharmacology; 2010; 5(1); 21-24.
8. Van Wagenen, B.C. R. Larsen, J.H.Cardellina, D.Ran dazzo, Z.C. Lidert and C.S withenbank, Ulosantoin; a potent insecticide from the sponge Ulosa ruetzleri; J Org Chem. 1993; 58(2); 335 -337.
9. Bauer, A.W., Kirby, W.M.M., Sherries and Tuck M; Antibiotic susceptibility testing by a standardized disc diffusion method; American J. Cli. Path; 1966; 45(4); 493-496.
10. Brand-Williams W, Cuvelier ME, Berset C; Use of free radical method to evaluate antioxidant activity; Lebensmittel Wiss. and Technologie; 1995; 28(1); 25-30.